If you have ever been to Walt Disney World or maybe even just started researching your first visit, you know there are dozens of options to choose from when to deciding where to stay at Walt Disney World Resort and which is right for your family. For my family, Wilderness Lodge is among our favorites, and, although there are so many more, here are my top 10 reasons why.
10. Lobby – Wilderness Lodge has one of the largest lobbies at WDW, and it is breathtaking! It must-see, even if you decide to stay somewhere else.
9. Pool – I know there are many “cool” pools at Walt Disney World Resort, but to me, this one ranks highest on the list! Its size ensures crowding is not a problem, and it’s natural beauty, from the rock water slide to the geyser, ensures it will be somewhere both young and old will want to hang out after a busy day at the parks. Besides, where else can you swim next to a geyser?!
8. Boat transportation – There is a boat that will take you directly to Magic Kingdom, or you can take the other boat that will bring you to Fort Wilderness Campground, and Disney’s Contemporary Resort. If you take the resort boat, you can easily access the monorail from The Contemporary and head to EPCOT without the buses!
7. Trail – There is a great trail you can take from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness that stays right next to Bay Lake. The trail has great views and can give the chance for quiet walks with the family or just your significant other!
6. Busing – When you do have to take a bus, I find these buses to be much less crowded than those from some of the other resorts! We never have to wait more than 5-10 minutes for a bus, and we have plenty of seating!
5. Rooms – There are different categories of rooms you can choose when booking your stay at Wilderness Lodge, and not one of them is a bad choice! You can stay in a standard room facing the pool for excitement, a standard room facing the woods for some peace and quiet, or you can choose a bunk bed room with kids, which they are sure to love! We prefer to stay on the fifth floor, woods view with bunk beds. With the private balcony, you can see Wishes in the comfort of your pajamas! You can’t get any better than that! There are also concierge level rooms for those who want to really be pampered.
4. Whispering Canyon Restaurant – All I can say is – what a fun time! You can eat, drink, dance, and enjoy the show put on by your fellow diners all at one place! Oh and beware, if you ask for ketchup, you will certainly get more than you bargained for.
3. Family of the Day – Each day there is a family of the day at Wilderness Lodge. This particular family gets to climb up onto the roof of Wilderness Lodge and assist with raising the flags for the day. This is something you must request at check-in and is not always available as so many want this unique opportunity.
2. Quaint and Quiet – As big as this resort is, you never feel like it is busy. I find this resort to be laid back and pretty quiet at all times of the day…a true feeling of being in the wilderness.
1. Location – When you buy a house, what is your biggest focus? Location, location, location. Well, at Wilderness Lodge, you are a short boat ride to and from Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary to take the monorail to EPCOT or to enjoy Chef Mickey’s for breakfast or dinner, and a boat ride to Fort Wilderness so you can go to a campfire with Chip and Dale. You can’t go wrong with this location!
On your next trip to Walt Disney World, why not try a stay at Wilderness Lodge? If you do, I hope you fall in love with it as much as my family has!
Stacey Schultz is a featured writer for this blog and Travel Agent with Fairy Tale Concierge. To learn more about Stacey and read more of her articles for this blog, click here.